what to do with anonymous comments:
- queue them until moderator approval
- use spam filtering or captcha
- just publish them and remove spam later
- omraneya queue
although I'd like to point out that this right now is a purely technical problem, when we first decided to put anonymous through moderation queue it was to help maintain the AUP without putting huge effort on administrators (we had no large moderator team back then), but now the main reason to keep doing that is spam.
anyone who is running a modestly linked blog site knows how big a problem comment spam is, one by one we all had to put anonymous comments in the queue.
now this is not fun, it certainly puts a limit on free speech (EGLUG is not a free speech area according to our earliest policy poll after the infamous motorola motem post) but its a sad fact we are all living, email si becoming more and more complicateds due to spam, there are no perfect solutions for this.
cons to spam filtering:
- consumes loads of server resources
- may hit legitimate comments, mods still need to go through the unpublished comments
- may miss spam comments, mods need to go through all comments to kill spam
cons to captcha
- extremly annoying
- drupal captchas rely on simple arethmetics to avoid accessability problems and consuming way to much resources, will expose anyone with very poor concentration or arithmetics skills (is that a pro?)
- difficult to explain
- will probably get us more angry troll comments
I'm open to other suggestions.